GPS trouble

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM
Hello,

I'm excited about this project. Unfortunatelly I have trouble with the GPS subsystem. It fires an unhandled exception related to a timeout when I start GPS. I use for deploy a Glofiish X500, and GPS works fine also with the Mobile 6 SDK's GPS example. Also I wonder if it's normal when I downloading tiles for a city (in my case Bucharest) to last about 2 hours for retrieving.
Coordinator
Dec 17, 2007 at 9:38 PM
I'll look into the unhandled exception, I think I know what the problem might be. As for the WM6 SDK GPS example, I'm pretty sure that it uses the WM6 GPS Intermediate Driver. This application does not take advantage of the GPS Intermediate Driver (yet).

What GPS receiver are you using? If it's a bluetooth serial port profile & NMEA-compatible GPS receiver then it should work. Read this MSDN article for instructions on how to set up your receiver. I apologize for the lack of documentation at this point. It's definitely something I'm working on.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb158600.aspx

Be sure to set up an outgoing port for your GPS receiver. The outgoing port will be the port that you select in the GPS Options for Griffin Navigator.

Download speed is really going to depend on your connection speed and the number of tile that you're trying to download. I did fix some problems with the map retrieval, which I will be checking in soon. You can reduce your download time by deselecting some of the higher zoom levels (like 17 and 18) since the number of tiles on the map quadruples for each zoom level. You can also try deselecting some of the areas of the map that you might not need by going to Select Tiles in the Download Options window and clicking on sections of the map that you wish to not download.

I hope this helps...


net4u wrote:
Hello,

I'm excited about this project. Unfortunatelly I have trouble with the GPS subsystem. It fires an unhandled exception related to a timeout when I start GPS. I use for deploy a Glofiish X500, and GPS works fine also with the Mobile 6 SDK's GPS example. Also I wonder if it's normal when I downloading tiles for a city (in my case Bucharest) to last about 2 hours for retrieving.

Dec 18, 2007 at 9:26 AM
Hello,

As I sayed, I use a Glofiish X500 smartphone with built in GPS. It's bind on COM4 (but virtualy to COM2; however, an app like iGO MyWay, reports that is find on COM4). In what concern the exception, I rise-up the timeout constant value to 60000 ms, but it solves nothing. I checked up the link that you provided, the single difference is that my GPS is not BT, but a built in.
About retrieving the tiles, I'm not sure how it's best to do. I selected some tiles that represent my city and it's surroundings (a matrix of 5x5 or 6x6 tiles in preview/select window), with all the zoom levels, but after the map is packed, on my phone I can see only about 60-75% of right zone of the map (it seems to be miscentered or who knonws) and I have maximum 2 levels of zoom-in (starting from the default level that app display after loading map). After the 3'rd zoom-in the map is some kind of grayl like the screen appeareance at the app start.

I just thinking: is not better to use on the mobile side the same approach as in the desktop application, I mean to use a webbrowser component to display the map? But I think that is not such a goos ideea because not allways you have a WiFi connection or a GPRS/EDGE/3G data plan available...

The main usage for mobile application that I'm interested is to display some kind of POI, that I allready know how to set-up on LiveEarth.
Dec 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM
Hello,

I just downloaded the latest release, I added the 57600 speed option to the related combobox, and now the GPS works fine for me. But is there any corelation with the map? I think not in this moment.
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 8:18 PM

net4u wrote:
Hello,

I just downloaded the latest release, I added the 57600 speed option to the related combobox, and now the GPS works fine for me. But is there any corelation with the map? I think not in this moment.


I'll go ahead and add 57600 to the baud rate options then.

As far as the map is concerned. If you omitted any parts of the map, you'll still see those sections from the top level only. The reason is because of how the tile preview works in relation to the map viewer that you use to frame everything up. I take whatever zoom level you're at in the map viewer window and then zoom in once to give you to preview/tile selection. The map viewer shows you a little less than a 3x3 tile area. So to give you more precision when selecting tiles, I zoom in one level, which takes the same view and breaks it into a 6x6 tile area.

If you're still seeing a 9x9 tile preview then you should get the latest version of the Map Maker (which I think may be your problem). If after getting the latest version of the Map Maker you're still having problems then let me know and I'll try to figure it out.



net4u wrote:
Hello,

I just thinking: is not better to use on the mobile side the same approach as in the desktop application, I mean to use a webbrowser component to display the map? But I think that is not such a goos ideea because not allways you have a WiFi connection or a GPRS/EDGE/3G data plan available...

The main usage for mobile application that I'm interested is to display some kind of POI, that I allready know how to set-up on LiveEarth.


Yeah, the whole point of me making this application was because I couldn't find any freely available GPS map applications that didn't require a constant network connection. Like you said, a connection might not always be available, so this application came about to help fill that void. This was actually a semester project for a mobile software development class at Purdue University and I decided that I wanted to share it with others. :)

POI and directions are definitely on the to-do list. The functionality that's currently built into the map maker is actually there from when I was originally writing the application for a Sony PSP homebrew GPS map viewer called "MapThis!"